With so much "nutrition" advice out there, it can be frustrating to know what to eat. Should I count points, calories, carbs, fat grams? While every eating program has pros and cons, I do like the fact that they can help us get focused and thinking about what we are eating. I think the "miss" is that sometimes we forget that we need to pay attention to what our body is telling us.
Here's my "easy" eats checklist:
1. Will this food make me FEEL good after I eat it? (light, energized, happy, balanced)
2. Will this food make me LOOK good after I eat it? (doesn't lead to bloat, weight gain, etc)
3. Does this food taste good to me?
My goals is to have everything I eat meet each of these criteria.
Here's an example of a day's worth of meals that meets all three criteria for ME:
2 eggs with sauteed red peppers and spinach or kale and 1 oz cheese and some cherry tomatoes
1 cup frozen berries, 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder, 1tsp chia seeds mixed for a smoothie
Large green salad with lots of veggies topped with 4-5 oz grilled chicken and homemade dressing with olive oil, lemon juice and spices
1 oz almonds and 1 sliced apple
4 oz fish broiled or baked, 1 small sweet potato with tsp butter, fresh steamed broccoli or green beans
Ok, here's a sample of day's meals that don't meet my criteria. They might taste good, but they do not make me LOOK or FEEL good.
Cereal with milk
burrito with chips and salsa
burger and fries and soda
So before you eat, try the checklist! If you can't answer "YES" to all three, think again about your choices. It will give you confidence and help you get to know your body better. :)
My Life, Health and Fitness Goals for 2011!
- Appreciate my healthy body by being active and fueling it with good food, understand my limitations but push through them when I know I'm not giving it my all! ( Give myself a B-/C+ for this)
- Maintain a healthy-feel good weight, gain strength and fitness!--eh, it was a hard year. did ok
- Go back to school--started the process, accepted into school, still working on transfer of credits, etc. Plan on summer/fall next year (waiting for free tuition!)
- Give up Diet Coke for good! DONE!!
- Give up bottled water (unless traveling or on vacation) DONE!!
- 4 mile Dirty Girl Run--July 2--DONE!
- Take horseback riding lessons--started 7/29!
- Finish century bike ride--did not happen this year. I did not get enough training time in. Next year!
- 10K Dirty Dash Sept 24--done!
- Hike Mt. Timpanogos (15 mile RT, 4580 elevation gain)--planned--not done, weather got too cold and schedules got changed. :( Next year!
- Dance lessons with hubby--registered for class in Jan 2012
Health and Fitness Goals accomplished in 2010!
- Maintain weight 129 lbs or less through healthy eating and exercise, continue to get lean and strong!--Finishing the year in the low 130's, which wasn't what I wanted but I'm ok with it. Did get stronger! ;)
- Submit my story to Prevention's "Picture of Health" contest--done! 1/19/10
- Finish Lifetime Fitness mini-indoor triathlon March 6th--done!
- Finish 5K or longer race--done! 7K, 4/26/10
- Goldilocks women's 60 mile bike ride May 8--Done! 47 miles
- Finish at least one Sprint Triathlon-- Iron Girl Triathlon Las Vegas 5/15/10--DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Finish a century (100 mile) ride--Utah Lake Century 8/7/10--NOT done, next year
- Finish Insanity 63 day challenge Aug 30 - Oct 31--not finished, too hard on my knees and missed weight training
- Try Bikram (hot) yoga--done!! 11/20/10
- Be featured in Shape Magazine--December 2010 issue--DONE!!
Health and Fitness Goals accomplished in 2009!
- Maintain my weight at 122-127 lbs through proper eating and exercise and continue to get lean and strong!--done
- Pass ACE Lifestyle and Weight Management Consultant Exam-- 09/01/09--passed!
- Take intro martial arts class--done! 8/14/09
- Teach Weight workshop classes-- done! 9/8/09
- Send my story to Shape magazine--done! 9/27/09
- Do at least one chin up! --done! 1/25/09
- Share my story at work - Healthy Balance--done, in 02/09 issue
Health and Fitness Goals accomplished in 2008!
- Join the National Weight Control Registry (NWCR)--done! 10/14/08
- Take and Pass ACE Personal Trainer Exam by the end of December 2008--PASSED!!!!! 12/3/08!
- Try indoor rock climbing--done! 12/08
- Take fencing class--done! 9/08
- Achieve and maintain my weight at 123-126 lbs or less with proper eating and exercise--done!